The London System is a solid queen pawn opening for White characterized by the following set up:
- The queen bishop (dark square bishop – DSB) is extremely important to White, and will escape to h2 when necessary.
- Depending upon Black response, White will will follow up with c2-c3, Nbd7, or c2-c4, and Nc3.
- White will typically delay castling until his initial set up is complete.
- White will try to prevent Black playing …e5. If Black plays …e5, White tries to capture e5.
- When Black plays …g6, White plays Nc3 to support an eventual move to e4.
- Play e3 and h4!? when Black plays …d5.
- Meet …c5 with Nb5.
- Use e5! E.g., Nf3 followed by Ne5
Black plays …g6